Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Totally True Tuesday - Guess Who?

I have bright yellow and green patterns on my shell and body. I can live in fresh or brackish (partly salted) water and I’m commonly found in ponds and river beds. I love to bask in the sun on rocks and logs. When I get too warm, I plunge into the water and use my webbed toes for swimming, and my claws for climbing. Often times my type is found in pet stores.

Who am I?

A Slider Terrapin. If I had jaunty red stripes along my face I’d be a Red-Eared Slider.

Do you know someone who keeps a terrapin as a pet?

Are You a Turtle?


Like a sturdy truck, I’m built for the rugged terrain and live strictly on land. I have thick, stumpy legs and claws that help propel me forward and dig deep holes. Plus, I prefer veggies to meat and am purely vegetarian.

Who Am I?

A Tortoise

Tortoise-Truths

~ the Gopher Tortoise is able to dig underground tunnels over 40 feet long and 10 feet deep.

~ the Galapagos Giant Tortoise can weigh in at well over 400 pounds. Plus, its shell can get to be five feet long and 3 feet high.

True Turtles

Sea turtles live exclusively in the ocean waters. The only time they come ashore is to lay their eggs on a sandy beach. Unlike terrapins, their front legs are more like flippers. This enables them to swim and dive in the water.

Turtle Facts

~
the Leatherback Turtle is the biggest sea turtle. It measures 6 feet long and 4 feet wide. Its average weight is 880 pounds, with the biggest one weighing in at 2015 pounds. How can he get so big? This turtle’s diet consists mainly of jellyfish.

~ the Stinkpot Turtle gives off a powerful skunk-like odour when it feels danger is near. So don’t try to pick this guy up or you’ll be a stinkpot too!

~ there’s actually around 300 different species of turtles, tortoises and terrapins. So the next time you see an animal that wears a shell, ask yourself…is this really a turtle?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
 

knowonder Blog Design by Insight © 2009